BuildLaw in Brief
With over 30 years’ experience in the avoidance, management, and resolution of building and construction disputes, the Building Disputes Tribunal is recognised and respected as the leading independent, nationwide provider of specialist dispute resolution services to the building and construction industry.
The Building Disputes Tribunal is an Authorised Nominating Authority for the purpose of nominating adjudicators under the Construction Contracts Act.
Our extensive knowledge and experience of the design and implementation of dispute resolution processes enables us to develop a comprehensive understanding of the community’s needs and to constantly deliver sound and commercially relevant advice on dispute resolution procedures and options, and innovative and effective dispute resolution services.
Our support team is approachable, accessible and helpful. Those parties to disputes and/or their advisers who contact us seeking advice, tell us that they are grateful for the personal service and professional advice that our Registrars provide which demystifies the dispute resolution processes for them and helps them to understand and to participate in the processes more effectively.
Our strategy and vision
The Building Disputes Tribunal is recognised and respected as the leading provider of specialist dispute resolution services to the building and construction industry in New Zealand. The Tribunal aims to maintain that privileged position and to continue to set the standard of excellence for building and construction dispute resolution in New Zealand through:
- Building and maintaining strong and trusted relationships with all industry sectors, the legal profession, and the community.
- Providing quality advice and highly efficient professional services.
- Establishing and promoting independent panels of dispute resolution professionals who are experienced, respected and recognised as leaders in construction dispute resolution in New Zealand.
- Encouraging and training less experienced, but otherwise properly qualified persons to act in relation to lower value and less complex claims under the mentorship of their more experienced colleagues so that they may gain valuable experience and knowledge in a safe environment for the parties.
- Maintaining a comprehensive and user-friendly website to inform and educate parties to construction contracts and their advisers about the regimes for making and responding to payment claims and for the resolution of disputes arising under those contracts.
- Providing fair, prompt and cost effective dispute resolution procedures.
We believe passionately that our model of creating and developing innovative, specialist dispute resolution processes by combining our extensive expertise and local experience with the best aspects of evolving global trends and practices allows us to provide the best possible service to the New Zealand building industry and the community.
Our Vision is underpinned by our five core values. It is these values that have enabled us to build a flexible and responsive organisation that can continuously change and adapt in order to achieve our vision.
Integrity – Exemplifying impartiality, independence, integrity, honesty and accountability – everything we say and do will reflect the highest moral, ethical and professional standards.
Respect – Engendering mutual respect in all our interactions.
Support – Giving all those who use and deliver our services the maximum support.
Discipline – Maintaining consistency and certainty in the delivery of our services.
Trust – Trusting that all our people share our values.